Macaroni and Cashew Cheese Bake
This is jazzy vegan version of my childhood favorite, macaroni and cheese with cut up hot dogs.
Cashew Cream Sauce
Adapted from the Epicurean Vegan
- 1 1/4 raw cashews
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon dry minced onions
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2-3 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons red miso
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Place cashews in a food processor and grind into a fine powder, being careful not to turn into a paste. Add nutritional yeast, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and pulse a few more times to incorporate.
Next add soy milk, cornstarch, and oil in a thick bottomed sauce pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and stir occasionally until cornstarch is dissolved, about 10 minutes.
With the food processor running, gradually add the milk mixture to the cashews. Blend until smooth, about 2 minutes. Next blend in miso and lemon juice.
- 16 ounces of whole wheat rotini, cooked al dente
- 1 cup veggie dogs, sliced (about 4)
- 1 cup broccoli florets, steamed
Mix pasta, veggie dogs, broccoli, and cashew cream together. Pour into a greased 13x9 inch casserole dish.
Cheezy Biscuit Topping (optional)
- 2 cups Bisquick Heart Smart baking mix
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cheddar style Daiya
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Before starting the cashew cream sauce, mix together the soy milk and vinegar/lemon juice and set aside for at least 10 minutes. Combine baking mix, soy milk, Daiya, and garlic powder then spoon on top of macaroni casserole.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes, until biscuits are cooked through.
If you chose to omit the biscuit topping just sprinkle a handful of whole wheat breadcrumbs on top before baking.